I am currently working on a game development, i do programming and in the game if i require graphics then i hire designer. I was curious about how other indie developers like me manage the game assets. I asked in a Facebook group about this topic. Hopefully i got reply from Dozens of people. In this post i will share how they manage the game assets being a Game Programmer.
I will try to provide the link and their serious ideas to manage game art for your project.
- Some said that they would hire freelancer for entire art of their game.
- Some said that they would find free/open-source game art in the places like: OpenGameArt.org, Kenney.nl, GameArt2d
- Some said that they would buy the Assets from stores like: Unity Asset Store, GraphicRiver
- Some said that first they make a rough art and develop the game and eventually while releasing they would hire freelancer graphics designer.
- Some said that they have started to learn them self and they are doing great. Also some said that it is little easier to learn 8-bit style art. (2DGameArtGuru)
- Some said that they would partnership with designer to build the game and share the credit and earnings.
- Some said that they would just focus on game with art that is geometric shapes like square, triangles etc.
In this post i have shared the idea and link form my post thread only. There are many out there. I hope this will give you at least a basic idea for finding game art for your project.